Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Coconut Cake Made to Reach A Heart



This was a slightly different take on COCONUT CAKE.

While my friends and family like to roll their eyes, I always try to find a way to make a recipe “healthy.” Of course there isn’t much you can do to something that has the word “cake” in it, but I tried and I think it was quite the success.

We spent the Fourth of July up at Alisal Ranch with my mom's side of the family. I actually acquired my sweet tooth from my grandpa. There is a saying, "The way to a man’s heart is by making him food." Well, I feel that with most people, lasting relationships are created through or over food. Knowing that coconut cake was a favorite of his, I decided to test it out and reach his good side or into his heart.

First we (Meghan helped out with the baking while I was at work…) took a box cake. The cake overall turned out more on the yellow side than normal coconut cakes appear. To avoid this, make sure to use a white cake mix rather than buttercream or yellow. If you choose the box route, follow the instructions and then set it to cool for about 20 minutes. Then place the cake in the fridge for a couple of hours. This allows the cake to harden so that it becomes easier to frost.

Next I took the recipe for cream cheese frosting from one of my favorite cookbooks, Barefoot Contessa at Home.

1 pound cream cheese (or the healthier Neufchâtel cheese, a 1/3 of the fat)
2 sticks unsalted butter (our family grew up with Nucoa margarine)
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 pound powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
6 oz shredded coconut

*Mix the first 4 ingredients and then gradually add in the powdered sugar.

Bring the cake out of the fridge and slice the cake in half. This allows you to create a center filling for a nice surprise. I have found that cakes that are broken up into layers allow more flavor and texture with every bite. Place the bottom layer on the plate and spread some frosting on the top. If you are feeling adventurous and want to bake “outside the box” include some of your favorite toppings in the middle layer: from chocolate chips to fresh strawberries or even more coconut. Next place the 2nd layer on top. Load up a couple scoops of frosting and begin to spread around. As the frosting expands over the top, smooth it over the sides around the cake. Lastly pat the coconut on the top and sides of the cake. When finished, place the cake back in the fridge until ready to serve.

The cake was a HUGE success, enjoyed by both my grandmother and grandfather (and a bit on the healthier side with the alterations in the cream cheese).

good work and bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment