Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Magnificent Mothers Day to All :)

I have been blessed with such an amazing relationship and was happy that I could help celebrate her today.   Of course we have our ups and downs, if you don't then, I'm sorry, that's just odd.  Some mothers receive homemade cards, breakfast in bed, or a meal out.  I consider my trip home a gift in itself, but Meghan and I did a bit more.

For breakfast, I tried a new recipe from my Barefoot Contessa cookbook - Orange Cranberry Scones.  My mom's favorite scone is the ever-so-popular cherry, white chocolate scone from Looney Bean in Mammoth Lakes.  But, it was a little out of my league and I have a goal to test out my current cookbook recipes, so that was the plan.  We actually started the day with a walk around town with Bodie (our fabulous yellow lab) and picked up a coffee on the way, but the scones were ready for when we returned.
4 cups plus 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
3/4 pound cold unsalted butter (diced)
4 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup cold heavy cream (although we found out that heavy whipping cream is the same)
1 cup dried cranberries
1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water or milk (for egg wash)
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
4 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice

Preheat the oven to about 400 degrees and let the baking begin!
I didn't have a hand-zester tool, so I ended up improvising with our cheese-grater.
Mixing up the flour, baking powder, salt, and orange zest (mmmmmm citrus)
In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs and heavy cream
Cream the butter and flour until the batter looks like little pebbles.  I had difficulty obtaining the perfect dough, so I started the integrate the egg and cream mixture. 
This did the trick and I soon was left with a perfectly buttery dough ready to be rolled out.
In order to divide the dough into shapes, I used the top of a cup, but it would work just as well with different shaped cookie cutters.  Maybe make breakfast a little more exciting.

Place the batter in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.  The biscuits might be better off if rolled out with a thicker consistency, but still ended up quite tasty.
Delicious and flaky.  Perfect on their own, warmed with a little butter, jam, and berries, or a nice cup of coffee. 
Flowers brought home to brighten the day and a lovely pick-me-up for Mom and the one and only Bodie resting in one of his favorite spots. 
Dinner was yet another treat, especially for a college student like me.  My dad had picked up excellent shish-kabobs from Bristol Farms (chicken and steak), and we paired it with asparagus and white rice.  Probably the most tender chicken and steak, grilled to perfection with pepper and onion. 
My grandparents enjoying the time by the pool
Our cheese snack platter with a selection of crackers.  Cheeses consisted of: Brie, blue cheese, salami, jack, and cheddar. 
The "Grill Chef" prepping dinner.
I've always had some trouble finding the perfect homemade frosting recipe, but somehow Meghan has managed to find one that is absolutely to die for.  Based off of powdered sugar with some butter, milk, and vanilla. Even better once placed in the fridge.  

The best were topped with coconut, per Mom's request and we topped many of them off with the fresh strawberries that Jamma and Papa picked up on their way up north.  What would have been even better is to have the "muffie" tin, a pan that only makes the top of the muffins, the absolutely BEST part of a muffin or cupcake.

It was a wonderful day with family, a lovely day outside to be in the sunshine and there are many more to come!


I love my mother as the trees love water and sunshine - she helps me grow, prosper, and reach great heights.  ~Terri Guillemets

No comments:

Post a Comment