Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's at Pelican Hill Resort

What a treat to start off the new year with lunch in Laguna Beach with my grandparents?  My grandpa had been recovering from a pulled hamstring and it was always them who drove up to have lunch or dinner with me, so I thought I would turn the tables and make the drive south.



I had expected a simple lunch with the three of us in their gorgeous courtyard, but they surprised me with a little trip to the Pelican Hill Resort, a grand vacation resort on the hill.  When they first moved into Laguna Beach, this area on the hill was simply shrubs and open land.  But, it soon turned into this Italian styled resort, villas, and golf course.  Fortunately, it looks pretty classy and brings in tourism money so that California stays some what afloat.  It covers quite a large area of land and is normally filled with local golfers or tourists. 

Jamma and Papa entering for lunch
We had a 12:30 reservation and even though it was the three of us, my grandma, Jamma, had reserved a table for 4, an old trick to get a better table.  It was simply gorgeous!  The fog had subsided and seated on the terrace, we had a brilliant view of the ocean.  It was a bit chilly (for Southern California standards that is), around the low 60's, but there were heaters that were not too overwhelming and allowed us to take our jackets off during lunch. 


Service was wonderful early on, but the food did take a while to arrive.  With so many gourmet options, I wasn't sure where to start, but ended up with a simple salad.  Plain, I know, but we were celebrating my dad's birthday at the Arroyo Chop House later and I didn't want to spoil my appetite. Plus, I have a tendency to flip-flop between entrees, the healthy and the not so healthy (but delicious), then feel guilty and order the healthy option.

Iced Tea to start.  It had a faintly sweet taste, possibly a fruit iced tea and was accompanied by a liquid sugar, although I prefer it on the brisk side. 




Oh the bread baskets.  These are no where to be found in European restaurants, so it was nice to see them make an appearance.  Normally, it consists of sourdough (mmmmm) or a French baguette.  However, today, there were two small rolls, sourdough and a sort of currant one, as well as three delicious and warm pretzel baguettes.  


Along with a little spread of butter, this was absolutely mouthwatering.  I splurged a little and tried it and then asked our waiter to package them up for my sister who also loves pretzel bread. 

My fresh farm greens and vegetables salad w/ chicken & vinaigrette.  It was a slight disappointment because when I had asked the waiter what was in it, he had responded: broccolini, squash, etc.
Papa's Nicoise salad w/ eggs, greens tomatoes, seared ahi tuna (which I tested and have to say it was an excellent choice) and little anchovies on top. That part I could have done without. 
Jamma has a very salty palate and loves her French fries, so we decided to test out the onion rings.  The batter was a little bland and the rings themselves weren't as crispy as some restaurants serve them.  Overall a little on the soggy side.  I did see the table next to us order the sweet potato fries, so I recommend those over the onion rings as a side dish.  
Jamma's hamburger with seasoned fries.  A big hit.

Dessert options included: a chocolate drizzled pumpkin mousse tart, a chocolate cake, a variety of gelatos, and this take on the apple pie.  The "gelato" was more like an ice cream in its thickness but was probably my favorite part along with the berries.  The glazed apple on top was chewy and sweet, but the pastry beneath it provided very difficult to cut through and reminded me more of a stale croissant.



Lunch with family, chatting, and a beautiful scenery made for a lovely way to start off the new year. Here's to 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment