Friday, February 3, 2012

Pantry Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate chip cookies are possibly everyone's favorite cookie or at least it is the easiest cookie that pleases most and seems to be the most difficult to mess up.  I have to say there are tons of recipes and blog posts on them, but probably none as unique as the recipe you will find below.  I might have mentioned previously, but I have a habit of working my way through the pantry and the ingredients I already have.  I don't like to go out and purchase a whole new batch of items just for one baking project.  Of course, I never use expired items (in that case I do make a quick trip to Safeway/Vons/TJ's), but it allows me to get the most bang for my buck.  It also tends to make for a nice surprise.


This weekend is one of my good friend's birthday and while I'm heading home tonight, I thought I'd make a surprise batch of cookies.  She's not really into the "healthy" cooking, but maybe I can slip these right under her nose.  They do have chocolate chips do they not?

Now for the sugar, instead of white granulated sugar, I used Splenda.  I had purchased the bag in a fake sugar craze (trying to limit the amount of sugar from my diet), but now it has been proven that these fake sugars could actually be more harmful.  Hm, I'll have to research that one a little more, but they helped make a yummy batch of cookies.  If you are looking for a healthier sugar method, agave syrup  is another recommendation.  This too has had some more press recently and isn't proven to be the ideal addition or substitution, but really now, what is?  Just be happy with what you use and everything in moderation!

Agave originates from agave plants (the same that produce Blue Agave used to produce tequila) and is sweeter than normal table sugar.  That being said, you could probably use less for baking, about three quarters less, which can also save calories.  Sounds like a winner to me!  I do happen to have a bottle or two in the pantry so it will be incorporated in the next few recipes and I will report back :)

So here we go...


Ingredients
- 2 sticks butter unsalted (or margarine...whatever your fancy)
- 2 eggs (substitute egg whites)
- 3/4 brown sugar 
- 3/4 granulated sugar (substitute splenda)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour (an interesting mix for me...probably 1 1/2 cups wheat flour, 1/2 cup white flour and 1/4 oatmeal for an extra chewy aspect)
- Tollhouse semisweet chocolate chips (practically the best kind!)

Optional: nuts - I believe walnuts are recommended on the Nestle Toll House recipe, but growing up with a picky father, we tend to leave them out.  

Baking Process:
1. Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees and lay out a couple of baking sheets. 

2. Place the two sticks of butter (softened), eggs (or egg whites/beaters), brown sugar and regular sugar in a large mixing bowl.  Beat with a hand mixer or machine until batter is blended. 

3. Add in the salt, baking soda, and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
4. Finally add in the remaining flour mixture and mix until the batter has formed into a large clump.  Don't worry at first if you only have little pebbles of batter, just keep mixing.

5. Mix in the chocolate chips (amount to your preference) 
6. Form little balls of dough and place on baking sheets. If you prefer flatter cookies, put the ball of dough on the baking sheet and flatten it with your palm.  Result?  A rounder and flatter disk, which might make decorating later on, or ice cream sandwiches, a little easier. 


7. Place baking sheets in the oven for about 12 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned.  If you leave them in the oven for too long, the cookies will harden up very quickly and you will be left with a more crunchy treat.  So, even if the cookies appear a little doughy, leave them on the counter for a few minutes and you are good to go. 

Tip: If you are not serving the cookies right away or even that afternoon, once they have cooled, make sure to place them in a covered tupperware or tin.  This way it takes a bit longer for them to go stale.  Another good option is to place some in a Ziplock bag and stash them in the freezer.  With my odd eating habits, sometimes frozen desserts taste better.  


As a finishing touch, I decided to add a basketball outline on the top, simply using a pre-made chocolate frosting.  Many of the grocery stores already have pre-mixed frostings in a variety of colors, so the process is that much simpler!  Basketball is Katie's favorite sport, but this would be just as fun for other sports (think baseball, tennis, volleyball, football - if you shape the cookies correctly)  Who knows?  Chocolate chip cookies are much more exciting than sugar cookies after all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment