Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Bowl XLV

So hopefully I will have many more Super Bowl and sports game tailgate posts for years to come.  I didn't have a huge part in this year's festivities as we had just finished a half-marathon and I really didn't have much energy or time to commit to the preparations.  Actually, I had flown home for the weekend so I was sort of living the entire 72 hours in a daze.  The Super Bowl has to be one of the biggest snacking days of the year, close behind the holidays of course.  My mom was the top chef and creator of the menu and I have to say, she did a fabulous job as always!

Our tailgate parties are always full of fun, good food, and themed goodies.  It was probably a mix between outsourced food and homemade treats, along with some additions from our guests.  My dad actually, usually Mr. Anti-balloons, surprised us with some Giants, Patriots, and footballs.

A well-positioned balloon for the win :)  
Togo's Sandwich platter (absolutely DELISH and reasonably priced - a new take on the "Big Sandwich" we used to have), chips in a football bowl and perfectly themed plates. 

Bibb Salad by Marla Thorton
 Some of the dishes donated to the spread included a fabulous salad by Marla (Bibb lettuce, candied pecans, avocado, blue cheese, cara cara oranges, grapefruit, English cucumbers, and orange vineagrette!)
My selections :) A little indulgence post-race...Togo's italian combo sandwich, salad, BBQ chips, fruit salad
Spinach dip by Madre (A Heritage cookbook recipe), veggie platter (cucumbers, peppers, asparagus, carrots, etc)
The finale of sweets...

Our selection of sweets atop a football field ceramic dish - chocolate chip cookie bars, sugar cookie helmets & footballs (my favorite), cake brownies, and the store-bought two-bite brownies

Overall, a very successful game, lots of great commercials (check them out at Hulu's Adzone), great company, and delicious food!  For the next tailgating party I am dreaming of making these lovely creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment